P.S. 596X CELL PHONE POLICY
CELL PHONE POLICY
The unique and varied needs of our student population, balanced with the need to maintain safety.
Cell phones can provide a safety option for our students who may have language, communication and social deficits. They can be especially useful to our special needs youngsters who travel to school independently.
The age of our student population, which spans pre-k through age 21 was taken into consideration.
Technology is a powerful motivator for our students and can be instrumental in shaping positive behaviors.
Parents play an important role in ensuring that students adhere to school’s policy.
I. Cell Phones and other Electronic Devices Include:
Lap Tops, iPads and other computing devices
Portable Music Systems (i.e. iPods, MP3 players, PSP and Nintendo DS)
II. Cell Phones and Other Electronic Devices Usage:
1. May be used for emergency purposes
2. May be used before and after school and on busses if permitted by the bus company.
3. Should be put away during instructional time to prevent them from interfering with instruction.
4. Students who participate in inclusion will follow the “host school’s” cell phone/electronic device policy.
5. May not be used in bathrooms or locker rooms.
6. May not be used to take photos of students or staff.
7. May not be used to take photos of students or staff to be placed on Facebook or other social media.
8. May not be used to text/call anyone during the school day except in the case of an emergency.
9. Students who are travel trained may contact their parent, if the parent wishes, to inform them of when
they arrive/leave school.
10. Any exceptions to this policy must be discussed with an administrator.